Turks and Caicos Articles
11 Unique Things to Do in the Turks and Caicos
When you think about that Caribbean vacation get-away on the horizon, your thoughts can quickly cloud with images of your own personal paradise. This is the exact euphoric feeling that’s seen mirrored on the faces of Turks and Caicos vacationers when we greet them at the Provo airport on arrival. The TCI really is that paradise destination, with inviting soft, warm sand and clear turquoise water that can never be properly described-it must be experienced. Above and beyond the enticements of the tropical sun and crystal sea, these islands offer so much variety for the curious traveler.
Painting a Landscape of Activities
The Turks and Caicos offer activities for the ocean-loving guru, from privately chartered fishing trips to unforgettable scuba-diving excursions around the most beautiful reef systems in the world. Turks and Caicos bonefishing is famed throughout the Caribbean, as well as sport fishing for swords and marlin. Both private charters and group expeditions are available with experienced captains.
Vacations almost always include trying new, local foods to experience the culture first hand, and with the many restaurants sprinkled throughout the TCI, especially on the island of Providenciales (“Provo” to natives), it’s easy to get lost in conversation over dinner and drinks with friends and family. Below we’ve put together a list of laid-back vacation ideas perfect for the open-minded vacationer.
1. A Jaw Dropping Adventure! A nighttime TCI shark fishing excursion – chartered by local skippers that know locations where these fish come out to feed at night!
2. Luxury at Your Fingertips. Have a personal chef grill up your catch (shark!) with a catered party set on the beach in your private villa’s outdoor living room! Try a Grace Bay Turks and Caicos villa outfitted with a comfortable outdoor living room with a grill overlooking picturesque views of the sweeping landscape.
3. Enjoy a Margarita…Or Two. If the family has a love for water sports, have the kids try tubing, snorkeling, or waterskiing off Grace Bay Beach while you watch and enjoy drinks on the beach in the warm afternoon sun.
4. Tee Time. Pretend to be a professional by playing on the Karl Litten 18 hole, par 72 championship Turks and Caicos golf course and try to get scores that compete with the best!
5. Window on the Undersea World. Go for a ride on the Undersea Explorer, a glass bottom, semi-submarine to see spectacular views of the coral reef without getting wet!
6. Kayaks and …Dinosaurs? Kayak over to Iguana Island with Big Blue Unlimited to visit the sanctuary that many lucky iguanas call ‘home,’ all while enjoying time on its intimate beaches.
7. Langostas y Música! Island guests can first attend “Mad About Lobsters” night (in season at The Somerset before treating their ears to traditional Caribbean music. Enjoy musical traditions by a local artist or band performed at a number of restaurants and clubs.
8. More Than Just An Aphrodisiac! Dine on Queen conch, a type of snail that can only be described as ‘Decadent!’ and offered at restaurants across the islands.
9. Sun Up, Sun Down. Wake up early at your private villa to hear and breathe nothing but the soothing sounds and salty scents of the ocean water and witness a breathtaking sunrise. Afterwards, take a Pilates class before the rest of the family wakes at Studio 90 Degrees. On a romantic note later in the day, visitors can take a sunset cruise with locally made rum punch in hand.
10. Mouth Watering Food and a Great Party! The first Saturday of each month, Lemon Cafe hosts its renowned and much anticipated monthly fete! Enjoy their delicious Moroccan/Mediterranean food and live entertainment. Lemon Cafe’s chef, John Tsavalas, has created a menu that is perfect for meat lover and vegetarian alike. And you’ll enjoy the food and entertainment in a luxuriously comfortable setting. And as for his desserts…..heavenly!
11. The Private Villa Experience. Instead of just having a ‘place to stay,’ Caribbean travelers can choose their own unique sanctuary, a private Turks and Caicos villa. Villa guests describe their experience as truly personal and pampering. Island visitors can even have all their holiday details handled by a professional guest concierge, including arranging for transportation, booking tours and diving charters; or arranging for a full body massage right at the villa.
Rejuvenate yourself with a postcard perfect escape in the Turks and Caicos, and get lost in a journey of discovery where new adventures are right around the corner. The Turks and Caicos invite spirited travelers to come play and indulge themselves with these 10 unique tips or with ideas of their own. The possibilities are endless.
About the Author
Basia Zaidan is the energetic owner of Tranquility Property Management and Vacation Rentals Ltd on the island of Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos. Basia and her team know the TCI like no one else. She has a lively Travel Blog, insider knowledge of the islands, and a reputation for giving exceptional attention to her clients.